Bong Food Craving and Pujo

Remember I said I was a foodie, and never again mentioned food items on this blog. Well that is about to change now. Here is what I have been craving for the past few months. Call it Pujo in the air, or the influence of my numerous Bengali friends resurfacing. But Bengali food has been on my mind for a while now. 

I went to the Powai Durga Puja pandals and finally ate Shorshe Paabda (Paabda fish in Mustard Gravy) with rice and what huge quantities. I was in heaven. The paabda was fresh almost creamy, and the shorshe sauce was well amazing. It was pungent, deliciously oily, and spicy with just a hint of sourness. Delicious. I ate with my hands, alas there was no place to sit and eat, or I swear there would be no flesh on the Paabda bones. But I did my best.

I wonder what started my bong food fascination, partly the loss of loving bong lunches and dinners enjoyed at a friend's place, since all my bong friends have migrated. And the craving. Oh the craving. I would dream of mustard sauce on my rice, crave sandesh, kosha mangsho. But more than anything else in this world, I would crave fish in mustard sauce. Most of my cravings have to do with fish and rice being a coastal girl, that to me is chicken soup for the soul.

So I did what any blogger would do, find other bloggers who cook bengali food. I found Bong Mom's Cookbook. You must visit this blog if you want an easy to follow version of bengali food, that even non-bongs can follow. I also bought her book. And dare I say it is so totally worth every penny I paid.

I made paturi, indian salmon in shorshe sauce, a basic macher jhaal and  bhapa sandesh and then stopped. I went to the Durga Puja pandals looking to buy a kasundi, after a tip about how kasundi could be used in any shorshe dish . Unfortunately I found no food stall selling bengali food staples, what I found instead were bengali uncles who very passionately discussed where to buy the best kashundi and who should I go to for date palm jaggery. I came back with a few address and some phone numbers and am so very happy.

P.S In my search for Bengali food I did go to the Bhojo Hari Manna in Mumbai, and left a happy person, just that my husband complained of rude staff and fishy smell. I was too engrossed in what to eat so probably took little notice of the rudeness. The fishy smell did not bother me, though I admit, it was very much there.

 Here are the bengali food blogs I go to whenever a craving hits me. There are many more I do go to, but below are the two I frequent the most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunsilk Yellow Review- Old wine in a new bottle

Dandruff problem - Quick Solution

Beauty products from my childhood or Inflation proof wonder products